Change of Status Instructions to F-2

International Programs

Most students receive F-1 visas from their home country and enter the U.S. in F-1 status if they will pursue a full course of study in an academic institution or engage in language training. Some students are married to another F-1 visa holder and wish to change their status to a dependent status of F-2. There are two methods by which you can change your status to F-2: Travel and Re-entry or Form I-539. This packet provides detailed instructions for the second method.